Sunday, December 09, 2007

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate"

DANTE MOMENT OF THE DAY IS BACK!

The last time we enjoyed verses from Dante was July 26. Soon after I went to Puglia and when I came back, all I wanted to talk about was Puglia!

But now that's over. We left off at the end of Canto II in the Inferno. Let's begin Canto III, which contains the immortal words: "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate."

That means: "Abandon all hope ye who enter here." In this Canto, Dante, with his guide Virgil, begins his official descent into the Underworld. Godi!

"Per me si va ne la città dolente,
per me si va ne l'etterno dolore,
per me si va tra la perduta gente.

Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore;
fecemi la divina podestate,
la somma sapïenza e 'l primo amore.

Dinanzi a me non fuor cose create
se non etterne, e io etterno duro.
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate."

Queste parole di colore oscuro
vid' ïo scritte al sommo d'una porta;
per ch'io: "Maestro, il senso lor m'è duro."

Ed elli a me, come persona accorta:
"Qui si convien lasciare ogne sospetto;
ogne viltà convien che qui sia morta.

Noi siam venuti al loco ov' i' t'ho detto
che tu vedrai le genti dolorose
c'hanno perduto il ben de l'intelletto."

Dante's Inferno, Canto III, 1-18

(My thanks again to William Johnston who kindly posted all of the cantos of the Divina Commedia on the Web. You can find the link at right in the list of links.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the blog!