Saturday, March 29, 2014

Il Papa + Obama + Leo + U2

From the Saturday morning journal, brought to you with no rush, but all the joy:

I’m reading an article in the New York Times about the first meeting between President Obama and the miraculous Pope as Leo stands in front of his bookcase, talking to himself and examining the many volumes in his little personal library. U2 is playing on the stereo and I’ve begun to tuck into my morning cup of yoghurt.

How can one person have all of these treasures, all in one place, within a single moment of time?

Then I read that Obama has invited the Pope to visit the White House garden, and the Pope responds: “Como no?” Sure, why not? I love that phrase in Spanish; I somehow find it even lovelier than its Italian counterpart (come no?).

I imagine the words rolling off his tongue with sincerity and a generosity of spirit we all may aspire to but few of us achieve.

And sincerely, with that phrase, my day is complete, and it's all of 8:30 in the morning. It cannot get better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the blog!