Wednesday, October 24, 2018

New lit by Italian women writers in translation (by me!)

I've had another translation published -- and another Italian woman author can now begin building a following in America.

It's a short story called "Autumn Lessons" by Francesca Marzia Esposito and I simply love it. You can find the story here and what follows is a tiny excerpt:

Lori runs past me in the hallway. He says he has to use the bathroom. I follow him with my gaze then I look back at Max’s pained face. I keep my hand on the door knob. He’s not coming in anyway. He readjusts his eyeglasses on the bridge of his nose; it’s a new tic of his. He’s been doing it over and over now for a few months. When we were together, he didn’t do it, this tiny repetitive movement. It could drive you nuts. But maybe he just needs to tighten the screws on the frames.
“How did it go?” I ask.
“Bene.”
“Is there something I need to know?” Is it about Sandra, I wonder? But I don’t say it.
“No,” he says. “Everything is okay. I’m just tired. We’ll talk another time.”
Once upon a time, I think, as I close the door. But it didn’t go that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the blog!