Friday, March 21, 2008

Michelangelo, Vasari, and Their Contemporaries

Last weekend I went to a lovely exhibit at the Morgan Library in New York called "Michelangelo, Vasari, and Their Contemporaries: Drawings from the Uffizi."

The exhibit includes about 80 drawings that normally can be found in Palazzo Vecchio in Florence. Among the drawings are works that come from a room called the Studiolo of Francesco I de' Medici. My aunt, who along with my uncle took me to the exhibit, wanted to know had I ever visited the Studiolo? I was not sure.

I mean, the Palazzo Vecchio, like the Uffizi (and Palazzo Pitti for that matter), is crammed with works (indeed there is a photo of the interior in the exhibit that shows works hung from floor to ceiling). So maybe. Anyone been to the Studiolo?

What I liked about the exhibit was the presence of the Vasari works. Yes, I know Vasari was a prominent artist but I tend to think of him more as the author of "Lives of the Artists."

And of course, anytime you can see works by Michelangelo, don't miss it!

The exhibit notes say the Morgan Library is the only stop of the tour. So if you are looking for a touch of Florence these days, head over to the Morgan. After the exhibit, you can see the Gutenberg Bible, which, do I need to say it, is absolutely fantastic?!

The exhibit runs until April 20. The Morgan Library is located at 225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street.

Godi!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the blog!