Wednesday, April 03, 2013

William Weaver, traduttore



I happened to read an essay recently about the translator, William Weaver, who translated many of the great books in the canon of 20th century Italian literature.

And as soon as I finished, I jumped on Amazon.com and bought the book you see in the photo. There's a long biographical essay about his living in Italy after the war and hobnobbing with Alberto Moravia and Elsa Morante and Giorgio Bassani, and then translated excerpts follow.

The book led me to re-read "Il Giardino Dei Finzi-Contini," this time side by side with his English translation.

Oh Lord I had forgotten how glorious Bassani's prose was! And it's fascinating to review Weaver's language choices, particularly as he translates certain words that are particular to the world of Jews in Ferrara during the Fascist era.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the blog!