Sunday, April 19, 2020

Poetry translations published by Asymptote Journal

Asymptote Journal has published four poems by Edith Bruck that I translated from Italian. It provides me with a much-needed respite since last week I should have been studying her works (and the Italian works of other women writers who survived the Holocaust) at the New York Public Library as part of a fellowship I won last year.

Instead, we are all home (the NYPL postponed my fellowship, and understandably so) ... but we can read poetry. And that is no small comfort.

You'll find on the journal's site not only my translations but also the original text of the poems in Italian, a Translator's Note in which I attempt to characterize Bruck's poetry, and recordings of Signora Bruck reciting the poems in Italian.

You can find the poems at this link or read the shortest one below:

https://www.asymptotejournal.com/poetry/edith-bruck-versi-vissuti/

Maybe

Of the men who count
In life
There’s only one:
The father who is missing

-30-