Sunday, June 13, 2021

Stealing Memories (for the Boston Globe)

I've been writing in my journal (and on the blog) a lot about my parents, and their declining health, and what we've lost by losing the simple ability to chit-chat. Who knew that chit-chat was at the heart of our relationship? Also the ability to make new memories.

Anyway, today I am writing about these things for the Boston Globe's Ideas section. The cracker-jack art department even made an amazing photo collage of three old photos I had photographed. You can see some of the collage in the screen shot I inserted here. The two color photos I found in my father's wallet. It felt like I was snooping around even though he was unable at the time to follow the nurse's instructions to take out his insurance card. We were out in the car last summer when I found them, waiting in the parking lot of a doctor's office. I might as well have found gold coins in there, given my reaction.

I think the piece might be behind a paywall but here's the link:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/06/13/opinion/stealing-memories

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the blog!