Friday, September 10, 2021

Mark Rothko, or sunrise photos c/o the dog

Well, the dog wasn't the photographer but I would not have been outside in an impromptu Mark Rothko museum if it weren't for Caramel.

(You can read more about my morning "travels" with Caramel at the Brevity Nonfiction Blog.)

When I saw these colors in the sky, I flashed to Mark Rothko paintings stored in my brain. Stored but until that moment never deciphered or beloved.

In fact, I never felt any kinship with the so-called color field paintings. What was he trying to express?

But now I want to know, was Rothko trying to approximate the sunrise or the sunset with his color paintings?

And should I bother to find out? Maybe. Or maybe I should simply enjoy the moment where art and nature mix in an unexpected way (courtesy of the dog).

Either way, I won't dismiss them when I see them again in a museum or book of paintings. I might just have experienced something similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the blog!