Monday, October 10, 2022

Pilgrimages I made in Italy (Il Libraccio -- Milano)

I visited as many bookstores as possible when I was in Italy, and had the joy finally of shopping at Il Libraccio (Milano branch), which I had heard about for a long time.

What I bought:

*A back issue of Granta Italia ("Sesso") that I'd wanted for a long time (and at a good price -- better than Amazon, of course; I can now take it out of my Amazon cart!)

*L'Arminuta by Donatella di Pietrantonio

*La Malora di Beppe Fenoglio (largely because I became obsessed with the word 'malora' while translating one of the Bruck short stories and spent hours in the Rose Main Reading Room at the New York Public Library poring over the big Italian-Italian dictionaries with extensive, historic entries on all of the major literary iterations of the word)

I spent a lot of time at the Mondadori store in the Prati neighborhood in Rome. I also spent lots of euros at Libreria Edison in Florence, kind of my "home" bookstore when I am in Florence.

But Il Libraccio is famous in a special indie kind of way.

Plus, because I bought two Einaudi books, they gave me a free backpack!

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the blog!