Friday, September 19, 2008

Cantina Venosa Vignali Aglianico Del Vulture '03

The Wine Library, in Springfield, N.J., sent an email this morning saying the New York Times' article on aglianico helped the retailer move 85 cases of the Cantina Venosa Vignali Aglianico Del Vulture '03 before 11 a.m. on Wednesday (the day the story appeared).

That wine was the New York Times' top pick for taste and value. (I linked to the online story on Tuesday and casually mentioned that Ciambellina had been writing about aglianico a year ago!)

At $10, the Cantina Venose Vignali was the only wine tested that a "normal person" (i.e. someone like me) could reasonably afford on a regular basis.

Indeed, Gary V., a rabid football fan and the wine guru at the Wine Library says: "Out of the 10 wines that made the NYT list, the Cantina Venosa was the ONLY one that was under $20. In fact, we have it on sale for $9.99....The next best of the Top 10 list was $22 and they only went up from there!"

I think most people are looking for every-day wines. The special bottle of champagne or the $100 bottle of Solaia -- who drinks those wines every day? No one I am writing about. And I would guess most people have quite a few of the good bottles on hand.

I know at Casa Ciambellina, there are two bottles of champagne from France that have been chillin' like villains in the fridge for months.

But I digress!

If you want to order some aglianico from the Wine Library, call 888-980-9463 or go here http://winelibrary.com/

5 comments:

  1. 85 cases?! Whoa, that's good business. Eric Asimov must feel like the Perez Hilton of wine with all that influence.

    I'm dropping by my local store later today to see if I can get some. $10 is definitely a grad student's price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:49 PM

    Jeanne,

    Just wanted to let you know that I read and enjoy your blog. It's like a little window so I can see what you are thinking about.......

    Wish I could read Italian, though. Obviously, some of the posts are beyond me. Maybe, in my spare time, I can take up Italian ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:50 PM

    That previous comment was from me.........

    I can't figure out how to post ??
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciao Denise!

    Which Denise are you?! Very glad you are reading the blog, no matter which Denise you are.

    It is never too late to learn a language, in my opinion. Because you know what? You can just start with some words and phrases.

    So let me know how I can help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We also received the news about Cantina Venosa here in Italy. The story was picked up by the networks and chewed over by wine lovers alike. Nice blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading the blog!