Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Aglianico in the New York Times tomorrow

The Wines of the Times column tomorrow will feature wines made from the aglianico grape.

Hey, Ciambellina readers: you read about it here a year ago!

We drank a lot of aglianico in Campania last year when we were visiting the town near Benevento that was the birthplace of Il Nostro Inviato's grandfather.

The article even mentions a wine producer I wrote about a few weeks ago: Tormaresca (though the Times drank a bottle from 2003, not 2006).

Man, if they were interested, they could have called me last year! Really, it just shows that Eric Asimov and I are on the same page. Heck, we even attended the same college!

Anyway, here's the article, which will appear in tomorrow's print edition:

Wines of The Times
An Italian Name Worth Practicing

By ERIC ASIMOV
Published: September 17, 2008
Aglianico wines, the leading red grape of southern Italy, seem to pass unnoticed by most people, which is a shame because they have so much pleasure to offer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/17/dining/reviews/17wine.html?ex=1379217600&en=0df158d5406a56be&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

2 comments:

  1. Might I say, you are ahead of the Times! (could not resist)

    It's funny because five minutes ago, I was reading the NYT article, and I thought, "huh, I wonder if Ciambellina saw that." I should've known better, obviously.

    Maybe sometime you could recommend some other good wines at graduate student prices? (I realize Italian wines are generally more expensive than ones from other countries...at least where I shop.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You tell me how much you want to spend, my friend, and I will find the wine for you!

    Case in point: I just bought six bottles of Malbec (which I think your parents like) for $6.99 each at Whole Foods, minus a 10 percent case discount (even though I did not buy a whole case). It's great wine!

    And to be clear, the aglianicos I drank were on the $10 or less side of things!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading the blog!