Thursday, April 08, 2021

"Love, Leo and Caramel"

I’ve asked Leo to write birthday cards this year to my mother and to Liz, and I noticed that he signs them now, “Love, Leo and Caramel.” (Editor's note: Caramel is a dog!)

I find it heartbreaking, in so many ways. I mean, heartbreakingly beautiful, of course, and tender and joyful, but somehow also just plain heartbreaking.

Last night, Leo and I were reading aloud from the book Who was Albert Einstein? when we came to a line that reads more or less like this: "Albert as a boy believed there were two ways to live life: as if nothing were a miracle or as if everything were a miracle."

And unprompted Leo said, "I want to live my life as if everything were a miracle."

I don't know if he said it, thinking that’s what I would want to hear, 

I can only hope he is really sincere.

And I said, "Me, too."

-30-

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this with me. He's such a deep thinker. You can tell him I am still hoping for a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! His teacher actually said he's "an intellect." I like to think I am not an idiot but I cannot remember any teacher saying that to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading the blog!