Friday, February 05, 2021

This is Atlanta

From the lost diary entry archive (Atlanta division)

Aug 31, 2016
I often invent little errands for myself so I can SEE. See something – that’s my aim but somewhere down deep I must know I will also feel something, and then I will begin writing in my head, and I will remember why I am so lucky.

And without fail it happened on a short walk to mail letters in Cabbagetown this morning. 

I dropped Leo off at his new school and then hoofed it a few streets over to the mailbox on Boulevard in front of the Southwestern restaurant. Not knowing what I would see, only knowing I love the Cabbagetown neighborhood, and honestly I think I love it twice as much now as I did this morning. 

I took a chance on seeking to enroll him at the C-town campus, only later remembering that one of my small Atlanta to-dos was walking around Cabbagetown more, like I did when we first moved back. Walking around Cabbagetown makes me think Atlanta is cool. It’s why we came back, even if much of our life is away from the kookiness of that tiny neighborhood to the north of us.

So what did I see? Just the usual: morning glories crawling up the utility pole, old corner grocery stores attached to homes and re-purposed as artist nooks, lightbulbs strung on decks and across driveways to create ambiance, flower boxes everywhere to the point of obscuring the homes behind them, a front lawn given over entirely to sunflowers as tall as the one-story house’s roof, a workman moving a large cement block who asks me, “Are you having fun yet?”

No two houses the same, but every house working its little heart out to tell you its story, and there is a story. Each porch beckons you – sit down, read a book, enjoy a cup of tea.

I love Cabbagetown. And I think to myself as I walk, ‘This is Atlanta.’ 

***
-30-