Sunday, February 21, 2021

Leo's Greatest Hits (questions and comments division)

As you know, I jot down as many pithy observations from my budding philosopher as I can manage.

Like when he said, “Your tongue is like a slide for your food,” I scrambled to record it in the Leo Journal. You can't make this stuff up!

Or: “When you plant seeds, it’s like a baby being born.” How true! He's probably saying something like that in this old photo I've included. We began our days in Atlanta hunting for photos of Pres. Obama in The New York Times over breakfast.

Then there are the questions. They don't stop. And they are extremely detailed! He's ready with hard-hitting probing queries (future journalist? Nah probably an engineer. As you may know, engineers can be quite detail-oriented, ahem!). Here's one:

"What's your least favorite 3-D shape?"

Do you have an answer for that one? I did not, so he followed up with this: "What's your least favorite 2-D shape?" Much easier, right?

I am vaguely flattered by all of the questions, though I don't know what it means. He often doesn't have an answer for a particular question he's posed. I like to think he's so outwardly focused -- more interested in others than himself. But who knows? And would that even make sense at his age?

Here's a short conversation I jotted down in my diary years ago:

Leo: "Does the owner of Amazon do everything out of his house?"

Me: "He has a big factory."

Leo: "Does he have helpers?"

It’s almost like he thinks of Jeff Bezos as a kind of Santa Claus.

Anyway, I will keep writing down what he says because his words are a daily gift. Sounds like such a tired Hallmark card inscription but really true. I mean, children are almost always more entertaining than adults, and when the child in question is YOUR child? Christ, it feels like you're talking to the most interesting person in the world.

Last night, we read from a book about Albert Einstein in which he said the world is divided into people who believe nothing is a miracle and the people who believe everything is a miracle. Einstein preferred to be in the latter camp. Where do you think my little soul mate cast his lot?

-30-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the blog!