Thursday, December 15, 2022

What I read in 2022 & What I plan to read in 2023

Reading is much more than a hobby for many of us, right? It's the equivalent of a runner's pre-marathon workouts. It's breathing (essential) and also eating chocolate (indulgent). Reading is such an important part of the work I do -- and the way I want to live my life -- that I have long kept lists of what I read each year.

So I suppose it's natural that I've now evolved into the kind of reader who plans what she's going to read each year.

Not that I always fulfill my reading campaign promises (you can see here what I planned to read in last year's reading roundup) but having a plan helps me map out the genres I want to immerse myself in.

I always know I will read books in Italian (mainly 20th century fiction by emerging or overlooked Italian women authors). I also know that I will do a fair amount of reading connected to my translation work, in particular this year books about the Holocaust since I have an NEA grant in literature to translate the short stories of Edith Bruck, a transnational Italian writer whose work is often inspired by her deportation at age 12 to Auschwitz. 

Lastly, I write memoir so I read memoir or works with aspects of memoir. And this year I read Bonnie Tsui's Why We Swim, and Italian Ways: On and Off the Rails by Tim Parks, as well as my first Emmanuel Carrere: Lives Other than My Own, plus I re-read Il sistema periodico (=The Periodic Table) by Primo Levi.

Reading is tied to obsessions, right? So I've become obsessed with dual-language editions but not actually in Italian and English (though I spent a lot of time reading English translations of Italian works, with the original in one hand and the translation in the other). Instead, I have come to love French-Italian dual language books (all because I bought one by Erri de Luca on a whim in Montreal a few years ago), and hunted them down in Florence this past summer by visiting the French bookstore in Piazza Ognissanti.

I also returned to an author who mesmerizes me: Patrick Modiano. (To be clear, I read his work in English, not French -- let there be no mistake!). New books of his that I read in 2022:

Invisible Ink

The Black Notebook

Dora Bruder

This year, I did tackle a whole new genre for me: Graphic novels. And that includes the best of the best: Maus (which, of course, is also connected to my reading on the Shoah).

You'll see below if I read the books I set out to read -- in some cases, yes, in others no. But the most important thing is that I set out to read "any book my father owned or recommended (including perhaps Alan Turing: The Enigma)" and I did just that (including the Turing biography). I wanted to immerse myself in the Michael F. Bonner book collection in the year following his death, and I DID.

Also, a note about the numbers: I read about 40 books, though that doesn't account totally for all of the books I re-read but only in part. I would like to read 50 books one year, which I believe is the annual total for my Uncle Larry (and for my father? Who knows how many books he put away each year?).

The year ahead could be daunting as I feel I need to get serious about reading works that will help me with my translation work. I also feel the press of classics I haven't gotten around to.

Without further ado, here is a partial log of what I read in 2022 ...

(If I list it, you can consider it an endorsement, in the event you're looking for suggestions)

What I actually read (English):

*Forty-one False Starts (essays) by Janet Malcolm (Nonfiction)
*Alan Turing: The Enigma (biography)
*Italian Ways: On and Off the Rails by Tim Parks
*Why We Swim by Bonnie Tsui
*Occupation Journal by Jean Giono
*Lives Other than My Own by Emmanuel Carrere
*The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat (Sacks)
*The Secret History by Donna Tartt (about Bennington!) (Fiction)
*The Torqued Man by Peter Mann (ditto)
*If You Kept A Record of Sins by Andrea Bajani and translated gloriously by Elizabeth Harris
*We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
*Krapp's Last Tape by Samuel Beckett
*Night Boat to Tangier by Kevin Barry (permission given to all to stop reading my blog right now to go read this book right now)
*Against Forgetting: 20th Century Poetry of Witness
("This anthology was born of a desire to gather works of poetic witness to the sufferings and struggles of the 20th century," reads the introduction, and the compendium includes this line of verse from Abba Kovner: "Sorrow already on his clothes/Like an eternal crease.")

What I actually read (Italian):

*Accabadora by Michele Murgia (Fiction)
*Dora Bruder by Patrick Modiano (In Italian, yes, just because)
*Le otto montagne by Paolo Cognetti
*Come una rana d'inverno: Conversazioni con tre sopravvissute by Daniela Padoan (Nonfiction)
*Sono Francesco by Edith Bruck
*"Inverno in Abruzzo" ("Winter in Abruzzo") an essay by Natalia Ginzburg that I re-read every year or so if for no other reason than she writes, "...era quello il tempo migliore della mia vita e solo adesso che m'è sfuggito per sempre, solo adesso lo so." = It was the best time of my life and only now that it has gone from me forever, only now do I realize it.)

Graphic novels that I read (NEW CATEGORY!!!):

*The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman (file under essential reading for any human being on Earth)
*Fun Home by Alison Bechdel

Dual-language books (NEW CATEGORY!!!):

*La plage/La Spiaggia by Cesare Pavese
*Placeres carnicos/Meaty Pleasures by Monica Lavin, translated by Dorothy Potter Snyder
(This category in 2022 also included quite a few Italian-English combos, such as La stanza del vescovo, Il sistema periodico and Lettera alla madre, as part of my on-the-job translational studies, but I am particularly interested in the French-Italian editions).

What I re-read (Italian):
*Se questo è un uomo, Levi
*Il sistema periodico, Levi
*Lettera alla madre by Edith Bruck
*A ciascuno il suo by Leonardo Sciascia (birthday treat; I sometimes re-read his novel, Il giorno della civetta, in which he wrote this inimitable thought: "Niente è la morte in confronto alla vergogna." You can translate it like this: Death is nothing compared to shame. And there you were thinking nothing could be worse than death, right?)

What I re-read (English):
*A Christmas Carol -- Dickens

Some of the books I'd planned to read but did not:

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold 
Emily Wilson's translation of The Odyssey
*The Ones Who Don't Say They Love You by Maurice Carlos Ruffin

Books I began but did not finish:

*What You Have Heard Is True 
*The Nasty Bits by Anthony Bourdain
*This Is Your Brain On Music

What I'd like to read in 2023:
*Horizontal Vertical: A City Called Mexico by Juan Villoro (began it last year but had to return it to the library before I was finished -- it's brilliant!)
*A book by new Nobel Laureate Annie Ernaux
*The Ones Who Don't Say They Love You by Maurice Carlos Ruffin
*Good Morning, Midnight by Jean Rhys
*Emily Wilson's translation of the Odyssey
*Books about Patrick Modiano (and probably by him, too)
*The Devil Finds Work by James Baldwin
*Graphic novels of the caliber of Maus and Fun Home (SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE!)
*Se consideri le colpe by Andrea Bajani (in the original)
*The Friends of Eddie Coyle (file under 'books from my father's library')
*The bible in Italian (I've never read it in Italian, now have I? So I bought a copy this year)
*The Letters of Alberto Moravia and Elsa Morante (Quando verrai saro’ quasi felice)
*Clint Smith's How the Word Is Passed

So what did you read this year? What can you recommend, especially in the genres of graphic novel, memoir and spooky post-war psychological thrillers (fiction or nonfiction)?

And what do you plan to read in 2023? So exciting! Another year of reading awaits us, my friends.

-30-

2 comments:

  1. for memoirs i'd recommend david sedaris's happy-go-lucky. i only read a couple of memoirs this year but that was the best, and the best of his.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Great tip, if you say it's the best of his! I've read a fair amount by him -- always read his NYer pieces so I will check that one out! Thanks, Marie.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading the blog!